Friday 11 September 2015

Mom friends, Motherhood essentials!




I have always been a people’s person. Once I sit down to count my friends, the list goes on and on...That is definitely a matter of envy for my husband Anuj, who is very shy and hence, has inhibitions in increasing his friend circle. Infact, since the time we have been married, most of our guest list during dinners at home, consists of my friends and their hubbies... now converted into his friends ! Wait, this post is not about our friend list comparison or who has more and who has less. It is about my friends, and their role in shaping up my motherhood experience. This post is a reflection of my thoughts about my old friends, and new friends, non-mom friends and my mom friends!



Our life takes us through many phases, childhood, school time, college days, work life, marriage and then baby times. Right now I am at my Baby/toddler phase. 

Each of these phases gives us friends. 
Some who become friends in need, those who are friends in deed...
Some who are always there, some who come and go in phases..
Some who have gone away from your life but you regret sending them away by your childish actions and wish them to come back, but the truth is they never will....
Some who have sent you away from their life and you cannot enter it again, no matter how many likes or comments you give them on social networking sites, no matter how many hidden messages you send them that you want to be back in their life, that you miss them and the bond you once shared..
Some who you love and hate at the same time, because they are never there when you need them, but one fine day they will call up and behave as if they have always been there..
Some who are your soul mates, who always remain in your heart, who are your friends for years, for life, for the longest of times, with whom you have shared all things good, bad and ugly, that has happened in your life. They might call you once in 3 months, but they will open up a world for you. They will enter and exit your regular life like flash cards, but they are a part of your existence, they have always been. "Harveen that's you".
And some who have become a part of your daily life, your day to day activities. You wake up and chat with them, you exercise with them, you hang out with them, discussing all things under the sun, from the color of your baby’s poop to what’s in menu today, to where to take children this weekend, to how to handle their tantrums, to how to manage family matters, to husband matters, to maid matter, to school matters, to xyz, yes as I said all things under the sun!

 

These are our Mom Friends. My mom friends, who have been with me since the time Vrinda came into our lives. The age of my friendship with them is similar to Vrinda’s age, but the bond that I share with them is much deeper, stronger and older (not literally, but emotionally). 




 I feel extremely lucky to have found some of the best moms as friends since the motherhood phase of my life started. Kopal, Ritu, Ekta, Sheetal, Amrita all these women have been by my side as I have grown into a mother.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. I would say it takes a few mom friends to raise a child. Without them, it is impossible to gain faith in yourself as a mother. They are the ones who would never make you feel ugly, no matter how much weight birthing a child has piled on you. They would be on standby at 3 am, if you need a baby medicine or advise on how to handle sudden baby cramps or motions or sleep issues. They would extend all possible support in taking care of your child, in baby sitting them, so that you can take a nap or have a visit to the supermarket or just have some alone time with your hubby. They would give you a shoulder to cry on, when your child gets hurt for the first time. They would recite their own stories and encourage you, when you cry because your child is being impossible! They would cook for your child and let you take a break. They would be moms to your child when you are not around.

And this is what my mom friends have been to me. I am thankful to my stars beyond words, for being so generous to me, for giving such friends, for giving Vrinda such aunts, who love her to the core.



Words fall short to thank you girls, for being there for me and Vrinda. I hope that I have been the same for you all as you have been for me. Love you to the moon and back!

2 comments: