Tuesday 17 February 2015

Polish Abolish!



Yes Ladies and my fellow mommies, it has been abolished. My nails have been done for. They have lost their love, their charm, their color, their polish. A time comes in all our lives when we have to do away with something we so love doing, something that makes us happy, that cheers us up during the most difficult and gloomy times. That one thing is polishing my nails, pink and red….and beige and peach. My make up consists of this one colorful thing that I can’t do without – my pretty pink nail polishes. 

But as my baby turned into a toddler, and that too quite a fashionable one (or so it seems), these have come of age. Their time on my nails is over. Their presence from my makeup box and my life is fast diminishing. It’s a fascination for her, to get her nails painted pink and orange. I don’t even remember how and when it all started, but I sure know that the end is nowhere near.


The eyes open with a dire need for it and sleep drools over with beautifully painted mini nails tucked away in the blanket in mummy’s lap. No matter how much I try, the day ends with a session of polishing. On good days, we miss out on polish, only because we have a lipstick in our hand. OMG that is another devil in the deep sea of girl-toddler-fashion-parade!

We as children never had such likes, either because our moms were not into such indulgence or we were obedient and listened to our parents when they said “No”. The later is much more believable and real. This seems farfetched in our times, when new age mommies have preferences and likes for such things fashionable and trendy. And why not? But then children happen! And the “end-it phases” come around, very often.

The other day we were dining with a group of friends, and as all mothers would do, I started discussing the “tiresome-times-of-nail-painting”, the “never-ending-polish-tantrums”, the “life-with-a-toddler” and there it was, the moment of “mean happiness” for me. The fellow mommy explained how her five year old daughter would put on the polish each day after coming back from school (as this is not allowed at school) and remove each night before going to bed. The sheer comparison made me happy. Please don’t judge me. But something tini-mini was very happy inside me. That I didn’t have to deal with the “removing” part as yet. I was happy that till now she has not seen anyone removing it from their nails. I was happy that till now the polish remover is not in her life. 



Not that I am not foreseeing this becoming a part of our life too. I am very much, looking at my darling girl. I know what’s in store for me, more polishes, and lipsticks and more make up. Until then I have taken a call to abolish my dear polishes from my life! Keeping a picture of the last application on my hands and feet, to look at and be happy about.


8 comments:

  1. A time comes when one finds shadows are longer then the life......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we have been witness to her " Polish sessions " during our recent visit at yours, can understand ur feelings expressed above. So atleast u are not the first mom with such experiences. Enjoy this phase of kuhu's growing up & keep sharing ur experiences with us all.
    Wishing kuhu best of polishing.........................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying my best to share these with you all papa. Rest assured...there is no derth of such sessions...Thanks for stopping by and commenting as always !

      Delete
  3. Very well depicted. ...... transition from a girl to a woman to a mother....💅💅💅💅👌👌👌👌👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton neha. So happy to see u here. Hoping to hear more from you. love and hugs.

      Delete
  4. Haha, i'm a bemused bystander during these sessions of "polish chahiye" and "lipstick chahiye" by kuhu. All these add up to memories and stories that we'll share with her when she grows up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes when she grows up..for now I m still very surprised how can she ask for this first thing after waking up in the morning..as if she has been dreaming about it all night..

      Delete