Friday 9 May 2014

Mom-in-Me is like My Mom!



Growing up, I would have to say Mother’s Day did not mean a whole lot to me. I don’t have vivid memories of things we did as a family for Mother’s Day, things we did as daughters for our mother on this special day or things I personally tried doing for her (like not being cranky or a fussy eater on this day).

Later in school and college I had heard a lot of hoopla in media about such a day and why its celebrated world over, but I didn’t truly “get” what this day means. As for me all days were Mother’s Days as they started and ended with my mother around us, doing all possible things for us, fulfilling all our demands and comforting us in all possible ways.

Then came the day when I became a mother. From the very moment I saw my baby, I felt the happiness for having her with me accompanied with some pain for facing the difficult newborn baby times. It was then and on all days after that that I knew the real meaning of Mother’s Day in the sense of each day being a Mother’s Day.


 I want to commend all mothers those who have gone before me, who walk beside me, and who are prayerfully awaiting their time to join the procession and add “mother” to their own definitions. For the later ones, one day the true meaning of such a day will embrace them so swiftly that no effort will be required by means whatsoever for realizing the essence of this being, being a Mother.


Today, I reflect on those times that have made me a Mom. I want to say thank you to my husband for joining me on this wonderful parenting adventure.




I can not thank enough my Baby doll Vrinda for loving me a zillion as I keep learning how to do the best I can for her.


I want to say thank you to my in mother-in-law who taught her son how to appreciate and love all the mothers in his life. You have raised your son well for which I am eternally grateful.




Finally what can I say about my Mother. She is an inspiration for being the mother she has always been, for as much as I remember. 

I see now, as I walk this road of motherhood what my own mother did and is still doing. 

Life is so much easier now, with all amenities at our footsteps, but all the credit goes to ours mothers and their mothers for raising us without so much help at their hand,
....for cooking those sumptuous meals for us without the assistance of cooks, 
....for washing those white school and party dresses to the perfection, 
....for making our crumpled beds at night and in the morning, 
....for buying the grocery from local shops almost every day(as opposed to online ordering options available to us today),
....for making sure our school books-bags-Tiffin boxes-water bottles all are at the right place for us to find instantly, 
....for giving us that extra two minute nap before waking us up for school in the morning, .
....for taking us to the parks, for playing with us, 
....for listening to us, for sorting our issues with friends and neighbors, 
....for sneaking that little 5 rupee note in our hands to buy a chocolate as we went out grocery buying as kids, .
....for staying awake all night when we fell sick, 
....for laughing when we laughed, for crying when we cried .
....and for being that wonderful mother that one can ever be. 

As a child, I didn’t recognize what my mother sacrificed to make our lives what they are now. She has taught me the art of mothering with bedtime songs and stories, kisses on fevered cheeks, washing dishes when maid’s not around and carrying candys in purses. She has given me the gift of memories of creativity in difficult situations, keeping patience at the most distressed times and an example of trust in God when there is no other answer.

The words “Thank you Mom” fall short, for what Motherhood does, nothing can match its limits and horizon. 

As I reflect back on my relationship with my mother and think forward of it with my own daughter, all I wish is to be as strong as my own mother in all times of hardships, to be as humble as her, to be as happy and satisfied with all that I have, to be as loving, to be as caring, to be as giving, to be as sparing, and to be as understanding. 

But most importantly, I have learnt that being a mother is forever. Once a mother, forever a mother! That’s why for me not one day but all the 365 days are the days for a mother - for mine, for yours and for us as mothers.
 
To 365 days of Motherhood. Happy Mother’s Days !




6 comments:

  1. A proud mother has realised the greatness of all the previous mothers.Great..! so keep enjoying " Mothers day " all the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written! I'm witness to all the hardwork you put to be a great Mom! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect condensation of motherhood.
    I agree with each statement you made.
    Proud of u!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx so much Babu ! I know what u r feeling ! This feeling shall soon come to you ! Bless u !

      Delete